07 Apr Gamma Solutions and SferaOne have joined forces to create GENERDIS, a project aimed at driving research in photovoltaic technologies, energy storage, and energy management for future energy communities
Cáceres, April 7, 2023 – The GENERDIS project, an industrial research initiative, will address the technological challenges of energy communities under the distributed generation paradigm. Given the decentralized nature of the resources that make up an energy community, it is crucial to have optimal operation that considers the common good and is flexible to adapt to changing situations, be they climate-related or others. This will reduce technical and economic viability risks and decrease dependence on subsidies or grants.
The project is based on three fundamental pillars:
1. Optimized management of decentralized energy resources: Through the use of algorithms and adaptive systems based on Artificial Intelligence, efficient management of energy resources will be sought both within the energy community and in the electricity system as a whole.
2. Research on innovative storage technologies: Energy storage solutions that reduce dependence on critical materials will be explored. This will include the development of centralized storage systems at the level of the energy community and their digitalization.
3. Research on new materials and methods to maximize the utilization of solar energy: Innovative materials will be investigated, and efforts will be made to integrate photovoltaic technologies into available surfaces on buildings, aiming to improve the efficiency and aesthetic integration of solar energy generation.
The general objectives of the project are as follows:
– Advance the scientific and technological knowledge of distributed photovoltaic generation, energy storage with low dependence on critical materials, and energy management. Public-private collaboration between companies and research centers will accelerate the implementation of these technologies in the medium term.
– Conduct proof of concept (PoC) tests until reaching a technological maturity level of TRL4-5 in the field of energy communities.
– Share best practices among knowledge centers and companies in different technological and business areas. This effective collaboration between non-competing entities in the market will enable faster and more efficient progress.
– Position the Consortium and its companies as leaders in distributed energy generation and energy communities. This will facilitate their participation in international initiatives such as Horizon Europe and the inclusion of these technologies in investment projects.
The GENERDIS project has the following specific objectives:
– Develop optimized energy management for energy communities.
– Investigate and apply new technologies in energy storage.
Within this project, SferaOne has set the following objectives:
– Research demand management systems, including generation and consumption forecasts.
– Explore new electricity market platforms and facilitate energy communities’ access to them.
GENERDIS represents an important step in the research and development of advanced technologies for the future of energy communities. Through collaboration and innovation, it aims to transform energy generation and management in a sustainable and efficient manner.
For more information about the GENERDIS project and its progress, please visit https://sferaone.es/innovacion/.